Several chimney fires have been reported throughout Maryland during this week’s cold snap. That’s prompted the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office to remind residents to make sure their chimneys are properly cleaned and inspected before stoking up their hearths.
Chimneys should be inspected and cleaned annually, but more often if the fireplace is used as the primary source for heating your home. Only combustibles such as kindling and newspaper, and not flammable liquids, should be used to start a fire. Other combustibles should be kept at least three feet away from heat sources that are being used. When your fire is done, use a metal container to dispose of the cooled ashes.
Return to: WGMD Local News Blog